What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC Explained
The difference between Delta-8 THC (D8) and Delta-9 THC (D9) is very subtle. Both are psychoactive; however, D8 yields less psychoactive intensity than D9. This differentiation is due to the placement of the double carbon in the D8 molecule, which affects its power and effects. Aside from the psychoactive variance, D8 delivers the same neuro and physical benefits as D9, while allowing normal functioning behavior throughout the day minus aches, pains, and nausea.
D8 offers a lengthy list of medicinal and recreational benefits. Many claim D8 lends a pleasant psychoactive effect, but without the anxiety commonly associated with D9. This helps those who struggle with paranoia or anxiety making D8 a better option for healthy and wellness.
- Delta-8-THC is chemically different from delta-9-THC by only a double atomic bond but still offers a potent headiness of its own.
- Delta-8 only exist as a fraction of the amount of delta 9 that is produced in the hemp plant
- Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol has a lower psychotropic power than its close cousin Delta-9 THC, which is the most abundant cannabis constituent found in cannabis.
- It is well known that D-8 connects to both CB1 and CB2 receptors in our bodies.
- The difference between Delta-8 and Delta-9 is subtle: both produce a euphoric headiness, but D-8 is about half as potent as D-9.
- Many people claim Delta-8 is a smoother, less anxious psychoactive experience than Delta-9. But, honestly, that depends on quality, quantity, terpenes, and body chemistry. (244)
Is it legal?
The simple answer is, YES, it is legal. As of 2018, the Federal Farm Bill legalized all forms of hemp products. In other word, all products derived from hemp is believed legal providing it has less than .03% Delta-9 THC. Therefore, hemp products can be sold and distributed nationwide. The key word here is hemp. D-8 derived from hemp is legal.
Warning: make no mistake. Delta-8 users will often test positive on drug screening tests because it is part of the cannabis THC family. Laboratory drug tests do not differentiate between Delta-8 and Delta-9 even if it is hemp derived. They both progressively accumulate in the fatty tissue whether you smoke it, eat it, or drink it. Equally, it is processed out of the body progressively, if not re-introduced.
According to Mayo Clinic Proceedings, D-8 and D-9 are detectable in body urine from 1-30 days based on quantity and frequency of use. The detectable timeline varies between blood, saliva, and hair testing. Urine screenings typically test for the presence of a THC metabolite, which includes Delta-8. Delta-8 is federally legal and legal in the USA, except for a few states. (198)
Will I Pass a Drug Test?
The simple answer is, NO. Furthermore, if you are scheduled for testing or suspect you may be tested, you should refrain from all D8 products as well as CBD having less than .03% Delta-9 THC. D8 and D9 are fat soluble and accumulate in fatty tissue even after consumption has stopped. As a result, the test may show a false positive.